Learning to read can be a daunting task for young children, especially in a language different from the native. As a parent, you can help your children overcome this obstacle by doing activities as a family. In this article, we're going to give you some ideas on how to teach a child to read in English.
- Cook as a family - What is your child’s favorite dish? Cook the meal as a family, and take turns reading aloud the recipe in English and mixing ingredients. If your children cannot understand the words, let them search for the numbers in the measurements first.
- Compare books and films - Is there a movie coming out that your child really wants to see? If possible, find the book version of the film and read it first as a family. Then, go see the movie in English.
- Grocery store list - Transform weekly chores into adventures! Kids learn English best if some of the words they learn include everyday objects (like the cookies they love or their favorite fruit). Make an English version of your typical shopping list. Decorate it together to make it more fun and colorful. Then head to the grocery store and let your little one help you do the weekly shopping while having fun!
- Play with educational apps - Educational apps such as Lingokids app are a great way to introduce reading readiness games in a playful atmosphere. After your child plays a lesson, check out the Additional Material to find even more learning fun for the whole family!
- Make bookmarks - Make bookmarks as a family, and let yourselves be creative. After your children spend time making their bookmarks, they’ll be thrilled to show them off while reading. Check out these awesome ideas for bookmark-making.
Let us know which trick worked best for your little one! ☺️
You might also: Teach English through their senses