When a child starts speaking in their native language, the names of the colours are one of the first (if not the first) words we introduce them to. We want our daughter to tell us what colour is her dress today 👗 , or we want to know what are the colours on our little boy's shirt👕 . Following the same pattern, when teaching a second language to our children, it is important to put the ''Colours'' topic among the first things they learn. Read through our tips and start having fun!
1. I spy 👁 - Put a little twist on one of the most popular English games for kids. Instead of asking your little one to find an object that starts with a certain letter, say ''I spy with my little eye something blue''. Have them guessing which object from the room you have in mind.
2. Colouring books 🎨 - An obvious one here. There are so many different types of colouring books or colouring worksheets that you can choose from, based on what you thing your child would learn the most from. We think the descriptive colouring books that have a little story are the best ones. Here you can find printables about colors from Lingokids .
3. Songs 🎼 - Turn up the volume! You can find many English songs for kids about colours, but make sure to include ''Cowy's Color Song'' in your playlist - it's our personal favourite!
4. Educational apps 📱 - We're pretty sure that educational apps that contain tons of games will be your child's favourite way of learning about colours in English. In Lingokids , under the topic ''Colors'' you will find many games that are easy, fun and most importantly educational.
Have fun and let us know if you have any other tip that works for your child! 🌈
- You might also like: Learn about food in english for kids
Help your child become bilingual!
Download Lingokids app today!Download for FREE