If your child is under 8 years of age, then it’s the best moment for him or her to learn a new language, and even become bilingual in it. At this age, a child’s brain is like a sponge - it absorbs an incredible amount of information at a very fast pace. Nowadays, many parents aren’t able to send their little ones to an academy due to a lack of these in their community, or they might even be preoccupied about their little ones not getting the best out of the classes, or about class’ activities not being as fun and engaging as parents would like. However, there’s always an alternative to this: online english classes. With these, they can learn at home while you track their progress, and all in a safe environment.
Benefits of Online English Classes
With the rise of technology in the last decade, online classes have become more and more prominent throughout the world. Having an English native teacher in online classes makes the learning experience a lot better for kids, since they get to learn the language from a person who knows it perfectly. But, what other benefits do these classes have for kids that are learning a new language?
- Fun and engaging: for younger children, learning while having fun makes things so much easier. At a young age, they can experiment learning through games, songs, stories, or with crafts. There are a myriad of resources than can be used to make online classes fun and stimulating, this way, the little ones will always be eager for the next class.
- Access everywhere, anytime: usually, regular learning academies have specific schedules. Online classes give parents the possibility of scheduling the classes at the best time for them, and these are usually accessible from any part of the world just with the use of an internet connection.
- Improvement of communication skills: the main idea of having online classes is to interact with teachers by talking and listening. When having a class with a native English teacher, children will be more likely to pay attention to what the teacher is saying. This will boost his or her listening skills in the foreign language, and will also be a great aid for improving the child’s speaking skills, since he or she will get to learn a native accent from the start, including particular phonics of the language.
- Safe environment: going to an academy is not always easy, especially if your child is shy, or if it’s too young. Having online classes makes it easier for parents to be aware of their child’s safety during the lessons, as they can be monitored throughout the duration of the class.
What’s the perfect age to start with online English classes?
Children as young as 2 or 3 years old can start learning English online. Many parents think that children should start having English classes when they’re in school. However, during early childhood, kids are in the perfect age to start acquiring the basics skills to master a new language. During this time, learning comes naturally.
Another good point to keep in mind, is that children this age don’t require extensive previous knowledge to start the classes. So, if your child hasn’t had English classes before, you can prepare him or her for the online classes by practicing some basic concepts with online English learning apps.
How to make the most out of online English classes
There are lots of activities you can do at home to take full advantage of your child’s English classes. Take a look at some of the resources you can use for this purpose:
- Activities in English: you can help your little one prepare for the classes beforehand by exposing him or her to different resources in English. You can use songs, audiobooks, printable activities or games. With these, your little one will get familiarized with the language before the lessons, making it easier for him or her to understand.
- English learning apps: you can try incorporating an English learning app for kids so your little one can practice a bit more during the free time. Usually, these apps have fun videos and games that -besides being very entertaining- are educational and engaging, and that will help your little one learn naturally and keep their attention on focus.
- Listen and watch others speak: once the online class has finished, you can try watching videos and movies in English with your little one so they can listen to different voices and accents in this language.
- Speak at home: once you’ve build some vocabulary, feel free to throw in some English words during the routine conversations in your native language. It’s a good way to start introducing the new vocabulary into their day-to-day lives.
- You might also like: English conversation for Kids