Fun times are a must for every child. Not everything a child does has to involve learning, sometimes is also good to just relax and have fun, but it’s even better when children can enjoy themselves while getting to know more about science and how everything works. Making bubbles gives your little one the opportunity to experience a simple science phenomenon in the easiest way: by playing!
But, what is a bubble? Bubbles are spheres of air wrapped in soap film that’s usually made of water and soap. This thin film has two layers of soap with a thin layer of water in between, this is what traps the air inside. Bubbles are stretchy, and have many colors, since they can reflect light very well, and they can also reflect the objects around them.
The best thing about these fascinating creations is that they can be easily made at home with a few simple ingredients.
Best recipes to make bubbles at home
Making bubbles is all about science. In most recipes you will need the same set of ingredients, with the main ones being water and dish soap, however, the quantities might change. Also, it’s recommended to try different dish soaps available where you live and check which one will give you the best results.
Corn Syrup Bubbles
This recipe for bubbles requires a bit of patience for it to work best since it’s recommended to let the mix sit overnight to get the best results.
- 1 cup of liquid dish soap - ¼ of a cup of light corn syrup - 6 cups of water - A clean container that can be closed with a lid - Funnel
- Grab the water and pour it in inside the container using a funnel to avoid spills. - Pour the liquid soap into the container, make sure to not make bubbles in this step, pour the soap smoothly and slowly. - Mix the two first ingredients gently making sure not to make bubbles. - Incorporate the corn syrup into the mix and stir gently. - Let it sit overnight for best results
This recipe is very easy to make, however, since it requires how water, make sure to supervise the process to ensure your little one’s safety.
Ingredients:- Half a cup of sugar - Half a cup of dish soap - 4 cups of warm water - Bowl - Whisk
- Pour the water in a bowl and mix the sugar with it until it dissolves completely. - Add the dish soap to the mix and whisk it so it combines - Let it sit for a couple of hours so it works better
Super Resistant Bubbles
While all bubble recipes are great, there’s a way to get even stronger bubbles. This means that they won’t pop that easily, they can bounce, you can stack them together, and your little one will be even able to hold them in their hands. In this case, the preparation is a bit more complex but the results are worth it!
- 4 tablespoons of dish soap - 2 cups of distilled water (it works better than just clean water) - 2 tablespoons of glycerin (you can purchase this in craft stores, cake decorating stores, or even in some drugstores) - 2 tablespoons of white corn syrup - Bowl - Funnel (optional) - Plastic bottle (optional)
- Pour the water in a bowl, and then add the corn syrup, the glycerin, and the dish soap and mix well. - Cover the mix, or put it inside the bottle using a funnel and close it. - Let the mix sit in the refrigerator for a full day
If you’re planning on making the biggest bubbles possible, then this is the right recipe for you! It will allow you to make bubbles that have a bigger size with a few simple ingredients.
- Half a cup of cornstarch - 6 cups of warm water - Half a cup of dish soap - Half a tablespoon of glycerin - 1 tablespoon of baking powder - 2 bowls
- Grab half the water and put it in a bowl, then add the cornstarch and mix it until it dissolves. - In another bowl, combine the baking powder with the rest of the water and make sure to mix it well. - Mix the content of the two bowls and keep stirring. - Add the glycerin and the soap into the mix, making sure that to not make bubbles while mixing. - Let it sit for at least an hour, and stir gently before and while using it.
How to make the bubbles
Once you have your favorite bubble mix, it’s time to actually make the bubbles! For this, there are a couple of things you can use to make your bubbles while playing:
- Use a reusable straw to blow the bubbles. Introduce one end of the straw in the mix and let it sit, then take it out and blow the other end of the straw to make a bubble. You can also use any plastic cylinder available or a common bubble wand.
(Photo: HomeSpun Threads)
- Make a bubble device to have bigger bubbles, take a big piece of rope (thick enough to fit inside a straw, but not too thin), and thread it inside two straws, then tie the ends of the rope with a small knot. Hide the knot inside one of the straws. Then, shape your rope and straws into a square, and separate the straws so that they’re parallel between each other. Use the straws as handles to submerge your new bubble device into a shallow recipient with the mix to make your big bubbles. Remember that you will have to take out the device slowly and use the wind as an aid to make the bubbles. It takes a few tries but it’s totally worth it!
- Make a DIY bubble wand using wire or try different home utensils. All you need to do is to grab some wire and shape so in one of the ends, there’s a loop big enough to make bubbles. You can make it the size you want, bigger for big bubbles, and smaller for the small ones. Don’t forget to use your imagination and try different tools and utensils (even the kitchen utensil will do!) to see if you can get even bigger and better bubbles!