As many says, good books are food for thought, especially for young English learners who are starting to get to know the language. Young children tend to find engaging those books for kids with beautiful illustrations and an interesting story, which makes it easier for them to assimilate a new language while reading.
Here we have put together a list of books to learn English designed for children enjoy and learn at the same time. These books all have one thing in common: food! Even though they’re not cooking books, their stories are so yummy that your little ones will want to finish them all at once!
- You might also like: Food in English
Check out these English learning books for kids and let your little one find his or her new favorite! Also, for more book recommendations you can check this list of children books to learn English.
1. Miss Spider’s Tea Party, by Kirk David: In this beautiful book, the lovely Miss Spider, who is florivore herself, wants to have a tea party with friends, however, most insects just flee in panic at the mere thought of this. It's a great lesson about not judging a book by its cover! It has colorful illustrations and charming rhymes that your little ones will enjoy!
2. The Little Red Hen: An Old Story, by Margot Zemach: This classic book tells a simple yet important moral tale about good and bad consequences to different actions. A Little Red Hen asks for the help of her friends in several tasks, but none of them wants to do it. In the end, the hen enjoys the result of her hard work! It has lovely illustrations that complement the story perfectly.
3. Everybody cooks rice, by Norah Dooley: A little girl sets out to find her brother before dinner time. While on her quest, she visits several houses in the neighborhood where she finds out that, even though everyone is from a different part of the world, they all cook rice but in their own ways! It's a great story about how people from different cultures have so many things in common!
4. Goldilocks and the Three Bears, by Jan Brett: In this classic tale, Goldilocks -a very curious girl- enters the household of a bear family while they're gone. Now inside the house, Goldilocks makes herself at home and falls asleep right before the bear's return. The detailed illustrations of this book will keep children engaged as they follow this lovely story!
5. The Sweet Touch, by Lorna Balian: A picture book with a charming story that the little ones will love! Peggy finds a genie who grants her one wish: she could turn everything into candy! But after a while, having her wish come true didn't seem so good. The illustrations and colors of the book are perfect for children. Definitely, a delicious story!
6. Four Famished Foxes and Fosdyke, by Pamela Duncan Edwards: Just like its title, this book is all about alliteration! It's a great, fun way to introduce new vocabulary to kids, as they follow the story of five fox siblings who are very hungry! Besides being entertaining and educative, this book teaches children about good nutrition. A great choice to enjoy as a family!
7. The Doorbell Rang by Pat Hutchins: A book about friendship, sharing, and cookies!With illustrations that will engage the little ones, this book can start introducing concepts about basic math as well. In this book, a mother bakes more than enough cookies for her sons, however, guests keep arriving and they start dividing the sweet treats so everyone can have some.
8. The Little Mouse, The Red Ripe Strawberry, and the Big Hungry Bear, by Wood, Son & Audrey: A little mouse gets a big, red ripe strawberry from a tree, but suddenly he is told that a hungry bear might want to steal his yummy treat! The great thing about this book, besides having a charming story, is that the reader gets to interact with it. Sure the little ones will love it!
9. The Amazing Apple Book, by Paulette Bourgeois: Do your little ones enjoy apples? Then, this book is for them! It has all the information about this fruit, and also a variety of recipes and puzzles. It's a great way to learn new vocabulary while reading about one of our favorite treats.
10. Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, by Judi Barret: In this book, children will learn the story of the city of Chewandswallow, a place where food isn't bought at the store. Instead, food fell from the sky! It's a magical tale, perfect to read aloud and enjoy with the whole family, as the little ones learn new vocabulary about food.
- You might also like: Live Video as Educational Technology