Autumn is upon us, which means cozy sweaters, early sunsets, colorful leaves, and snuggling up with a good book. Even if your children are toddlers or just starting preschool, it’s never too early to nurture a love for reading. Reading as a family promotes literacy, school readiness, and an eagerness to learn English. Needless to say, it creates beautiful moments of family bonding!
To help your family, we’ve compiled a list of our favorite Fall-related books for kids! Happy reading!
1. Big Pumpkin by Erica Silverman: A witch has grown a massive pumpkin, but who can pull it from the vine? Will it be the witch, the ghost, the vampire, the mummy, or the bat? Find out in this lovely Halloween story about teamwork.
2. Room on the Broom by Julia Donaldson: How many friends can the witch and her cat fit on her broom? The wind is strong but friendship is stronger in this rhyming Halloween tale.
3. We’re Going on a Leaf Hunt by Steve Metzger: Follow the journey of three friends as they search for beautiful Autumn leaves. Then as a family, embark on your very own leaf hunt!
4. Thanksgiving is for Giving Thanks by Margaret Sutherland: Whether or not your family celebrates Thanksgiving, the theme of gratitude for this American holiday is a valuable lesson for all children.
5. Fletcher and the Falling Leaves by Julia Rawlinson: Fletcher the fox worries that something is wrong when leaves begin to fall from the trees, but when winter arrives Fletcher has a pleasant surprise.
6. Apples and Pumpkins by Anne Rockwell: A little girl spends an Autumn day apple picking and searching for the perfect pumpkin. Your child will learn colors and fall foods in this colorful classic.
7. Mouse’s First Fall by Lauren Thompson: Join Mouse and Minka as they play on a beautiful fall day. How many colors of leaves can you and your child find as you read about the adventures of these adorable mice?
8. The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything by Linda Williams: Your family will love learning clothing in English in this silly, spooky story of a brave little old lady.
We hope you enjoy these family-friendly Autumn stories, and we’d love to hear your favorites!
- You might also like: Room-Cleaning Games